It’s easy to overlook heating while it’s still summer, but when fall and winter hit, will your furnace be ready? Just like your air conditioner, the constant use of your furnace over the years can generate some general wear or worse. The need for furnace repair is actually quite common leading into the cooler autumn period, as the system is restarted.
You can avoid the more expensive furnace repairs by simply having the furnace serviced to prolong the life of the unit.
What Does Furnace Servicing Do?
Furnace Servicing is a thorough process designed to keep the unit clean, functional, and most importantly, safe. Furnace maintenance has multiple layers to the procedure, involving highly specialized technical skills needed to identify potential issues and service the respective components. This can range from simple filter cleanings to lubricating the central components. Furnace servicing is quite thorough but here are just a few of the tasks involved:
- Clean the vent and air filter system for leaks or blockages, removing dirt and grime.
- Inspecting the blower access door to ensure a secure seal.
- Clean and inspect pilot assembly, the thermocouple, and/or the flame sensing rod.
- Check for cracks and other damages in the heat exchanger to prevent carbon monoxide contamination.
- Inspect gas piping and valve operation.
- Inspect duct connections.
- Amp-draw testing on the blower motor to see if it is performing to unit specifications.
- Examine the flame sensor for proper ignition smooth performance
- Apply lubricant to the motor’s moving parts.
- Ensure all electrical connections and wirings are secure and not at risk of corrosion or rust.
- Confirm the unit’s safety measures are functioning properly.
- Repair circuit board.
- And more….
Benefits of Furnace Servicing
Furnace servicing is important not only for keeping you and your home warm but also for preventing serious harm to your family and property. Because of its heating components, furnace technology does carry the risk of causing a fire if not maintained efficiently. Over time, lack of maintenance can increase the chance of the furnace mechanics breaking, which, coupled with the heat generation, could lead to a fire starting and spreading within the home. This can be caused by a combination of issues. For example, if dust is clogging up the flue, the heat from the generator can combust to start a fire and/or release poisonous fumes like carbon monoxide. The same mechanisms that keep your family warm can cause other serious issues if not treated, but this CAN be avoided with routine servicing.
Keeping furnace components lubricated, functional, and clean is vital to preventing both health hazards and more intensive damage. Additionally, having your furnace serviced also prolongs the life of your furnace overall, saving you up to $5,900 on a replacement furnace. And of course, your home will be warm and comfortable during the damp and cold periods of fall and winter.
Stay Cozy, Save Money, Maintain Your Furnace
Having your furnace serviced and maintained regularly can save you a lot of money and discomfort in the long run. Besides protecting your family from danger this is a great way to add value to your home. Whether you’re looking to sell your house or live in it for the long haul, this keeps the cold out and your expenses down.
At Exxel Mechanical Services, we offer our Furnace Silver and Furnace Gold plans to provide flexible pricing options and specific furnace services for you to choose from. Not sure what your furnace needs? All our services come with a free inspection so we can fully evaluate your furnace and provide the best solutions to keep your equipment running safely and effectively.